Income obtained in Portugal is eligible to benefit from the application of a reduced Personal Income Tax (PIT) rate of 20%. The income must come from one of the high-added value activities of a scientific, artistic, or technical nature such as:
• General directors and executive managers of companies;
• Directors of commercial and administrative services;
• Directors of production and specialized services;
• Directors of hotels, restaurants, commerce, and other services;
• Doctors, dentists, and stomatologists;
• University and college professors;
• Experts in physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, information and communication technologies (ICT), among others;
• Authors, journalists, and linguists;
• Creative artists and performing artists;
• Science and engineering technicians and professionals (intermediate level), and technicians and professionals in information and communication technologies;
• Market-oriented farmers and skilled workers in agriculture and animal production, forestry, fishing, and hunting.
• Skilled workers in the industry, construction, and crafts, including skilled workers in metalworking, metalworking, food processing, woodworking, garment production, crafts, printing, precision instrument manufacturing, jewellery making, craftsmen, electrical and electronic workers.
At the end of the 10-year period, they will be subject to and taxed under the general rules set out in the Personal Income Tax Code (IRS).