Here we can be adding some news

Immigrate to Portugal the right way

There are many different ways one can legally move to Portugal: Golden Visa, Non-Habitual Residency, D7 Visa, and Startup Visa are just some of them. We're here to find the one that best serves your needs.

Where we can help

There are many different ways one can legally move to Portugal: Golden Visa, Non-Habitual Residency, D7 Visa, and Startup Visa are just some of them. We're here to find the one that best serves your needs.

Residency Visa

Here you will find all the details about the main residency visas.
Visa D1
Requested for non-EU citizens who hold either an employment contract or the promise of an employment contract from a company based in Portugal - provided it lasts more than 12 months.
Visa D2
Created to attract foreign investors who want want to start small or medium businesses of economic, technological or cultural relevance to the country.  It can also be requested by non-EU citizens who wish to work in a self-employed capacity as long as they fit the following criteria:
• Have a contract or written proposal for a contract to provide services in liberal professions;
• Are qualified to exercise self-employed activity, whenever applicable.

It can also be granted to entrepreneurial immigrants who aim to invest in Portugal, provided they:
• Have carried out investment operations;
• Prove to have available financial means in Portugal, including those arising from financing obtained from banks in Portugal, and demonstrate by any means the intention to carry out an investment operation in Portuguese territory.
• Develop an entrepreneurial project, including starting an innovative start-up company integrated into a certified business.
Visa D3
Can be requested by highly qualified professionals. It is granted to a third-country national who:
• Hold an employment contract or promise of an employment contract with a minimum duration of one year, corresponding to an annual remuneration of, at least, 1.5 times the national average gross annual salary or three times the social support index (IAS)
• In the case of a regulated profession, to have high professional qualifications, duly proven;
• In the case of a non-regulated profession, have high professional qualifications that are appropriate to the activity or sector.
Higher Education Students | Visa D4 & D5
It can be requested by non-resident citizens of the European Union who are studying in Portugal, provided they fulfill admission criteria or have been accepted in university for a study program.

Students that have been admitted to an officially recognized university are exempt from producing any health insurance or similar, proof of compliance with admission criteria or acceptance to the university, travel insurance or means of subsistence. If the student stays for more than 5 years in Portugal he/she can apply for Portuguese nationality.
Family Reunification | Visa D6
This visa is designed for a family reunion, that is, if one of the family members already holds a residence visa, his/her family is able to legally reside in Portugal as well. Family members who can apply for the Portuguese Resident Certificate are:
• Spouse;
• Children up to 21 years old;
• Children over 21 years old who prove they are still economically dependent, enrolled in a Portuguese teaching establishment and single;
• Parents over 65 years old;
• Parents under the age of 65 years old who are economically dependent.

Residence visa for retirement purposes and for people living off individual revenues | Visa D7

The D7 visa is a Portuguese immigration visa that allows non-EU / EEA / Swiss citizens to obtain Portuguese residency, as long as they have proof of income to support themselves during their stay in Portugal. It can then be renewed after one year for two successive periods of two years and can be converted into a permanent residence permit after five years. In addition, after five years of holding the D7 visa, you may also request Portuguese citizenship, provided you meet the other requirements set forth in the Portuguese nationality law. It can be requested by pensioners or people with an income, provided they can prove they have means of subsistence in Portugal for no less than 12 months.
Proof that the applicant has the minimum income required by law that allows them to reside in Portugal for a period of no less than 12 months, which are:
• One adult (applicant): 100% of the current minimum wage (€ 705) = € 8,460/year;
• Two or more adults: 50% of the prevailing minimum wage (€ 353) = € 4,236/year; children and young people under 18 and over 18: 30% of the general minimum wage (€ 212) = € 2,544/year.
• The procedure consists of two steps:  first at the Portuguese Consulate or Embassy in the country of residence and the second at the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF) in Portugal.
• The D7 visa allows the holder to obtain a residence permit in Portugal for 2 years, which can then be renewed for a period of 3 years and, after 5 years, the applicant may acquire a permanent residence permit or Portuguese nationality.
• The minimum time of stay in Portugal is 6 consecutive months or 8 interspersed months.
• Enter and stay in Portugal and other countries that are part of the Schengen Area without a visa;
• Possibility of bringing the family to Portugal;
• Access to a residence permit;
•  Reconcilable with the Non-Habitual Resident Status (NHR);
• Portuguese nationality (after 5 years of residence).

European Citizens

EU citizens and family members who are also EU citizens must apply for the registration certificate to be able to live in Portugal for more than three months. This certificate must be requested at their local Council within 30 days following their first three months in the national territory. The cost is EUR 15 or EUR 7.5 for children under six years. Valid for 5 years.
Which nationalities can apply
All citizens from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
Where you can apply
Local Council of your current country of residence.

StartUp Visa

With the purpose of attracting investment, talent and innovation to Portugal, the StartUP Visa is a residence visa for entrepreneurs.

Entrepreneurs can integrate a startup incubator in Portugal and benefit from all the StartUP Portugal Program incentives and support. The program's goal is to strengthen the innovation ecosystem and position Portugal as a country open to entrepreneurship and also bring along those who can use knowledge and innovation to invest in the Portuguese economy.
Who can apply and how
Entrepreneurs from all over the world who want to set up an innovative tech-based company will have quick access to a residence visa that allows them to create or move their existing operations to Portugal. They can apply online.
International entrepreneurs must comply with the following criteria:
• Develop business activities that create innovative goods and services;
• Open or relocate companies and/or projects focused on technology and knowledge, with a perspective of developing innovative products ;
• Have the potential to create qualified employment;
• Have the potential to attain, 5 years after the incubation period, a turnover of 325.000€/year, and/or assets value of over 325.000€ /year.
• Entry and stay in Portugal and other Schengen countries without the need for a visa;
• Family reunification;
• Access to a residence permit;
• Reconcilable with the Non-Habitual Resident Status (NHR);
• Portuguese nationality (after 5 years of residence).

Tech Visa

Tech Visa is an accreditation program focused on providing Portuguese companies with a fast track to hire and retain highly qualified non-Schengen professionals. IAPMEI is responsible for assessing and accrediting companies under the Tech Visa program. So if you are a highly qualified worker and plan to work in Portugal, find here the list of Tech Visa-certified companies.
In order to apply for a visa or residence permit under the program, companies must ensure their candidates comply with all highly qualified workers' requirements, namely:
• Only third-country nationals not permanently residing in European Union territory can be accepted;
• All tax obligations must be fulfilled, when applicable;
• Candidates must have no criminal record;
• Candidates must be at least 18 years old;
• Candidates must have successfully completed a Bachelor’s degree 2 or equivalent with 5 years of experience in specialized technical functions;
• Candidates should be proficient in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish and master a language level suitable to the functions/duties to be performed.
Requirements for highly qualified workers
• To be a citizen of a third country and not permanently residing in the European Union;
• To have fulfilled all obligations related to taxes and social security, when applicable;
• Not having any criminal record;
• To be aged 18 years old or more;
• To exercise a highly qualified activity demonstrated through the fulfilment of one of the following requirements:
• Have a minimum qualification level VI according to ISCED -2011;
• In the case of workers with a qualification level V, higher professional technical course, in accordance with ISCED-2011, must demonstrate specialised technical skills of an exceptional nature, obtained through a minimum experience of 5 years;
• Work contract or promise of a work contract with a minimum duration of 12 months;
• Have a minimum annual salary equivalent to 2.5 times the Social Support Index;
• Have a command of Portuguese, English, French or Spanish appropriate to the functions to be performed.

Digital Nomads

The temporary stay Visa for the exercise of professional activity provided remotely outside the national territory must be accompanied by:
Subordinate work
i) Workcontract; or
ii) Promiseof employment contract; or
iii) Statement from the employer proving the employment relationship.
Independent professional activity (Freelancer)
The Applicant of this visa must prove to have average monthly income earned in the exercise of subordinate professional or independent activity in the last three months of a minimum value equivalent to four guaranteed monthly minimum wages, i.e. €2,820 gross.
We know that moving to another country can be a painful and stressful process, so getting proper legal advice is key.

Legal Advisory

Immigration Law is the bridge that connects people with opportunity and prosperity. Whether it’s to advise, assist or guide, we are here to help. So far, we’ve helped thousands of people around the world achieve their goal to live in a new country. Immigration means different things to different people. For some, it’s due to work or to advance their education, to others it’s the opportunity to live the life they’ve always dreamed of and worked towards. Regardless of what your reasoning to moving to Portugal, we love overcoming obstacles and bureaucracy.

Legal Representation

Legal representation is essential in certain aspects of life, especially when faced with a dilemma or when you are about to make personal or professional decisions. Lawyers come in handy when an individual seeks expertise in matters of law for corporate, personal, and civil matters.

Regardless of your location in the world, every country is governed by a specific set of laws and statutes. While most citizens are generally informed of local, regional, and federal laws, understanding the intricacies, specific details and processes involved can prove difficult without the assistance of a professional lawyer.

There are so many legal procedures when you are dedicated to immigrating to Portugal. Not only will you face a lot of documents and legal processes, but also what you read online might not necessarily be the right approach for you.

We are a multifaceted Portuguese team who understands thoroughly the Portuguese system, focused on delivering simple and effective tailor-made solutions.

This bespoke assistance not only saves you money and time but also ensures you do not stress whether you are making the right choice, missing any necessary paperwork or a deadline.
Our team offers full support to all your real estate necessities.

Property Investment

Buying a house is supposed to be a dream coming true. And yet, the whole process is a real nightmare. The market is too crowded, with online portals and real estate agencies presenting too many choices and too little useful information.

Our real estate division located in Portugal works as an independent buying agent to help you find the best property investment suited to your needs. We work closely with real estate developers and real estate agencies to achieve that.

When you’re ready to invest in a property abroad, it’s important to choose one that’s government-licensed to operate. For example, Wise & Co and its real estate division hold forth a unique license number - AMI 20896.
Investment Process
1. Brief
After an initial consultation, we build a personalized investment strategy based upon your needs and requirements.
2. Search
We search through our extensive database of sources to build a portfolio of suitable properties specifically for you.
3. Negotiation
Once you have decided on a property, we negotiate for the best possible terms.
4. Purchase
We guide you through the legal process, simplifying the Portuguese property purchase laws.
Our mission
Our mission is to help the buyer in every step, representing and advising legally - whether from the point of view of location, purchase value or property condition.
Our service is entirely free for our customers, because is paid through the sharing of commissions with our real estate partners.

Property Management

Whether you decide to own a property in Portugal for private or rental purposes, you are likely to need assistance with some aspects of its management. Wise & Co can provide such assistance.


Whether you are looking for temporary housing or for a long-term solution, we've got your back.

Architecture & Interior design

We're here to help you make the best decisions for your real estate projects: from finding the best location to assembling the best teams to work with.

Our partnerships will help your project come to life, whether you're interested in developing, rebuilding or remodeling.
We work with financial experts with advanced knowledge of tax accounting and tax law. The services of a tax advisor will help you minimize taxes payable while remaining compliant with the law.

NIF - Tax Identification Number

Not only is the NIF (Tax Identification Number) in Portugal used to declare your income every year to the Tax Office, but it is also necessary for most services in Portugal. Those include opening a bank account, buying a house, and exercising an economic activity, among others.

IRS - Personal Income Tax

The declaration of your IRS needs to be submitted every year and it applies to the income of citizens residing in Portuguese territory and non-residents who earn income in Portugal. Simply put, the IRS Tax is calculated after accounting for some duly accepted deductions* like:

• Health expenses
• Education and training expenses
• Retirement homes
• Alimony
• Expenses with real estate
• Family general expenses

*all the deductions above have specific limits.

NHR (Non-habitual Resident)

Non-Habitual Residents who transfer tax residency to Portugal and have not been considered a tax residents in the past five years enjoy a special tax regime. The status is granted for a period of 10 consecutive years and you must live in Portugal at least 183 days per year.

Check out the NHR tab for more information.

IS - Stamp Duty

• The transfer of real estate is also subject to Stamp Duty (IS) at a rate of 0.8% on the taxable value calculated for IMT purposes.
• The financing of real estate and the respective guarantees, notably mortgages, are also subject to IS.

However, no stamp duty will be due on a simultaneous and ancillary guarantee to a taxed financing agreement.


The IMI is levied on the Tax Asset Value (VPT) of urban and rural properties located in Portugal. Examples of urban buildings are properties intended for housing, commerce, industry or services and land for construction, as explained in the IMI Code (CIMI).


The Value Added Tax, or VAT, in the European Union is a general, broadly based consumption tax assessed on the value added to goods and services. It applies to almost all goods and services that are bought and sold for use or consumption in the European Union. Thus, goods which are sold for export or services to customers abroad are normally not subject to VAT. Conversely, imports are taxed to keep the system fair for EU producers so that they can compete on equal terms on the European market with suppliers situated outside the EU.

IMT - Municipal Property Transfer Tax

• The transfer of IMT is subject to Municipal Property Transfer Tax (IMT) at a rate of 6.5% on real estate or urban land for construction and 5% on rural property. The taxable value is charged on the price of the property or its registered value, whichever is higher.
•In the case of residential property, the applicable rate may vary between 0% and 7.5%, depending on the value of the property.
• No IMT is due in the case of indirect acquisition of real estate through the purchase of equity interests in joint-stock companies or up to 7,5% interest in private limited companies by quotas.
• Municipalities may grant total or partial IMT exemptions to support investments made in the municipality.
The Portuguese Non-Habitual Resident program aims to position Portugal as the best retirement haven in Europe. The NHR tax system has proven to be very successful in attracting Europeans with independent capital, retirees, and qualified professionals to become tax residents in Portugal, with no minimum or maximum stay required.

Main Advantages

The program allows qualified individuals to benefit from a special tax status with tax exemptions and flat taxes on certain income and capital gains: if the application is successful, the special status is granted for 10 years. For those with Portuguese NHR status, a 0% flat tax rate on foreign income (income, interest, dividends, capital, or real estate income), 0% wealth tax, and 20% flat income tax on domestic income for professions with increased added value apply as long as they have no connection to Portugal.

Some of the most important advantages of being a Non-Habitual Resident in Portugal are:

• Benefit from a personal income tax treatment over a 10-year period
• Enjoy a tax exemption on almost all foreign source income
• Ability to pay taxes at a flat rate of 20% for at least 10 years on Portuguese-source employment income, fees, profits, and royalties - if derived from qualifying occupations
• Become part of a white-listed tax environment within the EU
• A tax exemption for gifts or inheritance to direct family members
• No wealth tax
• Free remittance of funds to Portugal

Main Requirements

To obtain the NHR status in Portugal you will have to:

1. Become a tax resident in the country and not have benefited from the program before.

If you are a citizen of a European Union country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland and you remain in Portugal for a period of more than 3 months, you must request a Registration Certificate (Certificado de Registo) from the City Council of your area of residence. This document formalizes your right to reside in Portugal. After you have held a registration certificate for five consecutive years, you may request a Permanent Residence Certificate (Certificado de Residência Permanente) from the Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras - SEF).

2. Register in the Local Tax Office

Register at the local tax office as a tax resident in Portugal. To do so, you must have remained in Portugal for more than 183 consecutive, or non-consecutive days, or possess a house in conditions that can lead to the assumption that it is intended to be kept and occupied as your habitual residence.

3. Request Enrolment as Non-Habitual Resident

Obtain a Portuguese tax identification number and register as a tax resident. As soon as you’re registered at the tax office as a tax resident, you’ll receive your Portuguese taxpayer card. After the card is emitted, you’ll be able to apply to the Non-Habitual Resident program.

Taxation Q&A

Is the income obtained in Portugal taxed?
Income obtained in Portugal is eligible to benefit from the application of a reduced Personal Income Tax (PIT) rate of 20%. The income must come from one of the high-added value activities of a scientific, artistic, or technical nature such as:

• General directors and executive managers of companies;
• Directors of commercial and administrative services;
• Directors of production and specialized services;
• Directors of hotels, restaurants, commerce, and other services;
• Doctors, dentists, and stomatologists;
• University and college professors;
• Experts in physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, information and communication technologies (ICT), among others;
• Authors, journalists, and linguists;
• Creative artists and performing artists;
• Science and engineering technicians and professionals (intermediate level), and technicians and professionals in information and communication technologies;
• Market-oriented farmers and skilled workers in agriculture and animal production, forestry, fishing, and hunting.
• Skilled workers in the industry, construction, and crafts, including skilled workers in metalworking, metalworking, food processing, woodworking, garment production, crafts, printing, precision instrument manufacturing, jewellery making, craftsmen, electrical and electronic workers.

At the end of the 10-year period, they will be subject to and taxed under the general rules set out in the Personal Income Tax Code (IRS).
Is the income earned abroad under the Non-Habitual Resident taxed?
Under the NHR regime, the following categories of income and capital gains from foreign sources will be exempt from income tax in Portugal*:

• Dividends, interest, and real estate income;
• Capital gains from the sale of real estate;
• Royalties and associated income (but note that under some conventions the source country is precluded from taxing this income, in which case it will be taxed in Portugal);
• Profits derived from eligible occupations;
• Capital gains from the disposal of movable property (other than shares deriving more than 50% of their value from immovable property, or ships/aircraft operated in international traffic) will be tax-exempt if the respective double taxation agreement provides that they may be taxed in the source country, but this is not the case with the OECD model or most conventions, so some tax advice may be needed.

*This doesn't apply to blacklisted tax havens with no double taxation agreements in Portugal. If they can be taxed in their source country they will be exempt from income tax in Portugal as well.
What about business income and royalties?
Employment income obtained abroad is exempt from the IRS as long as it is effectively taxed in the source state, in accordance with the double taxation agreement between Portugal and the country. If there is no double taxation agreement, the income will be exempt if it is taxed in the State of source and cannot be considered as earned in Portugal, according to the rules established in the IRS Code.

Income from self-employment providing high-added value services of a scientific, artistic, or technical nature, and certain royalties, will be exempt from income tax, provided that one of the following conditions is met:

• That the income may be taxed in the source state under a double taxation agreement concluded between Portugal and that state; or
• Where no such double taxation agreement exists, the income in question may be taxed in the source state in accordance with the OECD Model Tax Convention on Income and Capital. In this case, the income must not be considered earned in Portugal and must not come from a country, territory, or region with a clearly more favorable privileged tax regime that appears on the list approved by Portuguese law.
What if I have Pension Income?
Taxpayers who become tax residents in Portugal on or after April 1, 2020, and who meet the requirements to obtain NHR status are subject to a personal income tax (PIT) rate of 10% on pension income earned abroad. However, if they prefer, they may choose to aggregate their income and eliminate international double taxation by applying the tax credit method.

In addition, the exemption method applies to taxpayers who obtained NHR status before April 1, 2020, and to those who were considered tax residents in Portugal by that date (who apply for NHR status within the legal time limits). They can only use this method if:

They are taxed in the source state in accordance with a double taxation agreement between Portugal and this state, or when, according to the criteria of the IRS Code, the income is not considered as having been obtained in Portugal.

Taxpayers who have already benefited from the NHR regime or who enrolled in it before April 1, 2020, may choose between one or the other:

The old rules, under which they maintain the exemption from taxation of pensions earned abroad when they meet the conditions established by law for this purpose, or join the new regime under which their pensions will be subject to taxation at a 10% rate for as long as the regime is applicable.

What is considered Passive Income and which taxes apply?
Passive income is all income derived from interest, dividends, royalties (certain types), property income (certain types) and capital gains.

Under NHR rules, passive income earned abroad is exempt from personal income tax, provided that:

• They can be taxed in the source state under a double taxation agreement concluded between Portugal and that state; or
• In cases where there is no such double taxation agreement, the income in question may be taxed by the source state in accordance with the OECD Model Tax Convention on Income and Capital.
• In those cases, the income must not be considered earned in Portugal and must not come from a country, territory, or region with a clearly more favorable privileged tax regime that appears on the list approved by Portuguese law.

Bank Procedures

Wise & Co, through established partnerships with Portuguese Banking Institutions, will help you regardless of your financial status.
Bank Account
Opening a bank account is a basic first step and through our partnerships with banking institutions we can simplify the process even further.
“When I decided to move to Portugal I was recommended to speak with Marta given her clear expertise in Immigration Law. Having worked with her and Luis made the process easier than expected as they were very clear from the beginning. I've recommended them to our friends as well.”
5 Star Rating for Wise & Co
Carla | Brasil

Don't panic over the many institution names.

SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras)

SEF is the institution responsible for immigration and border control. They have both technical and administrative duties as well as law enforcement.

Tax and Customs Authority (Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira)

AT is the body responsible for finance and for processing Taxes.

Typical journey with us

Let’s get know each other
First things first, we need to get to know you and your needs.
Explore the possibilities
We’ll walk your through the possibilities that best serve your interests.
Smoothly run the process
No one likes bureocracy - and even though patience sometimes is the key, we do our best to prevent shortcomings.

Immigration to Portugal the right way

We're here to help you save time and money.
Get in touch

Search for something